One postdoc position in computational heterogeneous catalysis is available at the KAUST Catalysis Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia (http://www.kaust.edu.sa). The position is offered in the group of Prof. Luigi Cavallo (http://kc2l.kaust.edu.sa/Pages/Home.aspx). The applicant should have a good research expertise in modeling reactivity on heterogeneous catalysts. Main focus will be on single site species grafted on an inert support, on reactivity promoted by metal organic frameworks, on catalysis promoted by nanoparticles, on electrocatalysis.
The ability and interest to pursue challenging, interdisciplinary problems, and the ability to deliver proof-of-concept results are essential. Highly motivated individuals with a strong desire to work in applied research, who are comfortable working in strict collaboration with colleagues, and are willing to be directly responsible for their project are encouraged to apply. To have an idea of the working activity, check the papers below:
1. Al-Johani, H.; Abou-Hamad, E.; Jedidi, A.; Widdifield, C. M.; Viger-Gravel, J.; Sangaru, S. S.; Gajan, D.; Anjum, D. H.; Ould-Chikh, S.; Hedhili, M. N.; Gurinov, A.; Kelly, M. J.; El Eter, M.; Cavallo, M.; Emsley, L.; Basset, J. M. “The structure and binding mode of citrate in the stabilization of gold nanoparticles” DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.2752.
2. Bootharaju, M. S.; Kozlov, S. M.; Cao, Z.; Harb, M.; Maity, N.; Shkurenko, A.; Parida, M. R.; Hedhili, M. N.; Eddaoudi, M.; Mohammed, O. F.; Bakr, O. M.; Cavallo, L.; Basset, J. M. "Doping-Induced Anisotropic Self-Assembly of Silver Icosahedra in Pt2Ag23Cl7(PPh3)(10) Nanoclusters" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 1053. 10.1021/jacs.6b11875.
3. Lardhi, S.; Noureldine, D.; Harb, M.; Ziani, A.; Cavallo, L.; Takanabe, K. "Determination of the electronic, dielectric, and optical properties of sillenite Bi12TiO20 and perovskite-like Bi4Ti3O12 materials from hybrid first-principle calculations" J. Chem. Phys. 2016, 144.
4. Al-ShaikhAli, A. H.; Jedidi, A.; Cavallo, L.; Takanabe, K. "Non-precious bimetallic catalysts for selective dehydrogenation of an organic chemical hydride system" Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 12931.
5. Rasul, S.; Anjum, D. H.; Jedidi, A.; Minenkov, Y.; Cavallo, L.; Takanabe, K. “A Highly Selective Copper-Indium Bimetallic Electrocatalyst for the Electrochemical Reduction of Aqueous CO2 to CO. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 2146-2150.
Only applicants with the following qualifications will be considered.
A recent Ph.D. degree in Physics, Chemistry, or a related field. Experience with QM codes such as VASP, CP2K, CRYSTAL. Working experience in compiling and running programs in Linux environment Proficiency in at least one programming language and shell scripting. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Good judgment, independency at work, clear sense of purpose, and accountability.
Appointment, salary and benefits:
The initial appointment is for one year renewable upon mutual agreement up to three years. Salary is highly competitive, no tax paid to Saudi Arabia. Benefits include free fully furnished housing, free high standard medical and dental insurance. The KAUST is located on the red sea shore, close to Jeddah in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Campus life at the KAUST is vibrant, with impressive
recreational facilities that include restaurants, fully equipped gyms, swimming pools, basket, volley and soccer fields, a private beach with scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing and windsurfing facilities, and a 9 holes golf course. The read sea coral reef is only 1 hour boat from campus.
Applications should include a CV and contact information of at least two references and should be submitted by email to Prof. Luigi Cavallo at firstname.lastname@example.org